Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Lily my muse




When our Rags and Glory card collection comes out you might notice a girl. A girl with long hair. Long legs. Sloping almond eyes. Strange raggedy style. And do you know what? She is not just another nameless glamour girl from my imagination. In fact she is Lily, my ex-nanny, a stylist, designer and writer living in Williamsburg, Brooklyn. I often write Lily long illustrated letters, very tall and half my age she is like a very naughty little sister and I imagine her adventures in my drawings and sometimes follow them (in real life) on her blog: http://romanticsqualor.blogspot.com.


Lily cuts the bottoms of her dresses off with big clunky scissors. So I did a card showing her doing just that. Sometimes she'd turn up at my door in a sun dress and a crazy old fur coat, bare legs, a pair of men's riding boots, middle of winter! Lily writes in bed. Lily has deliberately tangled hair and sometimes too much eyeliner. She is a bit of a nudist and the playsuits she wore to the playground with my son gave older men heart attacks. The other night I was grooving out on you tube and stumbled over Kate Bush singing Wuthering Heights. Nineteen turning twenty, she is just Lily's age and they look so similar. Romantic. Inventive. Raw and whimsical as all hell.


No comments:

Post a Comment